- First of all, a TDS meter indicates the total dissolved solids (TDS) of a solution, i.e. the concentration of dissolved solid particles.
- Dissolved salts and minerals increase the electrical conductivity (EC) of a solution. You can measure the TDS by using EC.
- Similarly, a TDS meter is based on the electrical conductivity (EC) of water.
- Also pure H20 has zero conductivity. Conductivity is usually about 100 times of the total ions.
- You can calculate TDS by converting the EC by a factor of the EC, depending upon the levels.
- The higher the level of EC, the higher the TDS reading.
- Water is considered unfit for human consumption when its levels exceed 1000mg/L.
- A high level of TDS indicates potential concerns for further investigation. The presence of potassium, chlorides and sodium and other toxic ions cause high levels of TDS ,
- Finally even the best water purification systems on the market require monitoring for TDS to ensure the filters and membranes are effectively removing unwanted particles and bacteria from your water.
The following are reasons why it is helpful to constantly use TDS meter to test for TDS:
- Taste / Health: High TDS results in undesirable taste which could be salty, bitter, or metallic. It could also indicate the presence of toxic minerals.
- Filter performance: Test your water to make sure the reverse osmosis or other type of water filter or water purification system has a high rejection rate and know when to change your filter (or membrane) cartridges.
- Hardness: High TDS indicates Hard water, which causes scale buildup in pipes and valves, inhibiting performance.
- Aquariums / Aquaculture: A constant level of minerals is necessary for aquatic life. The water in an aquarium or tank should have the same levels of TDS and pH as the fish and reef’s original habitat.
- Hydroponics: The nutrient concentration in a hydroponic solution can be measured using TDS. Lovely, well nourished plant look better. Don’t you think?
- Pools and spas: To prevent maintenance problems, you must measure the TDS of the Pool and the Tubs. I wouldn’t want to empty my pockets for constant maintenance!
- Commercial / Industrial: High TDS levels could impede the functions of certain applications, such as boilers and cooling towers, food and water production and more.
- Coffee and Food Service: For a truly great cup of coffee, proper TDS levels must be maintained.You don’t want your coffee to taste metallic. Do you?
- Measurement Range: 0-9990 ppm , 1 ppm Resolution, +/- 2% Readout Accuracy.
- Temperature Button: Test water temperature, 31 – 200 F degrees, +/- 2% Readout Accuracy.
- Function: saves measurements for convenient reading and recording.
- Auto-off function – Turns off meter after 10 minutes of non-use to conserve batteries.
- The smallest and lightest TDS meter available on the market.
- Furthermore it is highly efficient and accurate because of its Advanced Microprocessor Technology.
- Power source: 2 x 1.5 V